David Griffith

ASCD Staff

Alexandria, VA

Interests: Education policy,...

• Posted 7 Years ago

Action in 2010?

Happy New Year! 2010 is the year in which the Obama administration wants to reauthorize the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). We'll see if it can be done. Stay tuned for more information.

3 Comments

1000 Characters Remaining

Jim_Smith

15 Feb 10, 11:24 AM

There is no doubt that NCLB must change since the "measuring " of student achievement in its current form not only is inconsistent across states, grade levels and subjects but the goal of proficiency for all is simply not attainable.  However, the mood that I am seeing is to increase accountability for teachers and principals by measuring the "value added " to the student as a result of that student being in your class for a year.  This slippery slope of trying to measure "teacher effect" on the student learning is difficult if not impossible to measure. 

I have two questions

1.  Has there been a study done showing that teacher effect can be accurately measured?  I have been looking for it for years and have not found one.

2.  Do any of you work in a district where your teaching is evaluated based on the measurement of your student test scores?

Since, as far as I can tell, there is no way of accurately measuring teacher effect - and the new NCLB and the current RTTT depend upon this type of measurement, educational professionals should be very concerned about the next step for NCLB.

NA

100 Characters Remaining

AW

Anne_Wujcik

26 Jan 10, 12:33 PM

It will be especially intertesting to see how this plays out in light of today's announcement by the President of a proposed 3-year budget freeze. Of course, the details have yet to be filled in and the FY2011 budget proposal is due soon, so it all remains to be seen

The administration is strongly signaling that NCLB reauthorization will use many of the principles and guidelines created for race to the Top,  I have my doubts about still more prescriptive rules and regs. Yes we have to have accountability, but we also need to return the joy to teaching.

NA

100 Characters Remaining

Joshua_Garcia

13 Jan 10, 12:21 AM

David, What changes do you anticipate we will be able to influence?
NA

100 Characters Remaining